Monday, October 31, 2005

the big day


Today I leave for Australia. I'm currently at SFO, waiting for my flight. My Grandpa gave me a ride to the airport. We talked about a LONG trip he made when he was about my age. He flew from the east coast of the U.S. to Hawaii in March of 1945. The plane could only go 500 miles before it needed to be refueled, so you can just imagine all the stops it had to take before getting to the west coast. From San Francisco, he got into a plane that had a huge extra gas tank. The plane had to be stripped out of practically everything, making it light enough so that there would be enough gas to fly across the ocean. The plane ride from San Fran to Hawaii took 18 hours! Today it takes around 5. My flight to Sydney from LAX is taking 14.5 hours. God Bless Technology.

No comments: